Head of Department: Mrs J Roberts
Our Learning Support Team is staffed by the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO), SEN Teacher, ELSA, Behaviour Support Manager and Support Assistants with a wide rage of skills. We endeavour to ensure all pupils reach their potential.
Learning Support can be involved with students in many ways:
- Providing in class support mostly, to enable full inclusion.
- Ensuring all staff are as fully informed as possible of pupil individual needs.
- Adapting materials to support students in different areas of the curriculum.
- Promoting positive behaviour and assisting students with their learning.
- Providing intervention groups, eg reading, spelling.
- Working closely with some Year 7s in a Nurture Group.
- Supporting with ELSA, counselling and pastoral care.
- Providing Earlybird, 8.30 am, an opportunity for extra reading or spelling.
- Supporting some students in Drop In Lunchtime Club.
- Providing Homework Club support as requested.
- Listening to students.
- Writing, monitoring and supporting Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and Pupil Support Plans (PLPs) in line with the Code of Practice.
- Liaison with parents.
- Liaison with a range of external support agencies, eg Speech Therapist, SEN Teacher Advisors for disabilities, school outreach teachers, CAMHS and Educational Psychologists.
- Close liaison with all feeder schools prior to the pupils transferring from Year 6.
Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
ASD Autistic Spectrum Disorder
(including Asperger Syndrome and Social Communication Difficulties)
Dyslexia and Dyscalculia
British Dyslexic Association
Speech and Language Impairments
Information sheets on a wide range of learning difficulties, eg dyslexia, ADHD, dyspraxia, obsessive compulsive disorder, Aspergers Syndrombe