What is Homework?
Homework is work that is set to be done outside the timetabled curriculum. It contains an element of independent study in that it is not usually directly supervised by a teacher. It is important in raising student achievement.
Not all homework is done at home; in fact, for some students who find it hard to work at home, or for some tasks which may require resources (books, software, equipment) more readily available at school, it is necessary or desirable to carry out the task at school.
How is Homework set?
All homework is posted online via Satchel One (formerly known as Show My Homework). All students and parents should have their own individual user accounts and passwords. Login details are available from PSMs.
How much homework will be set and how often?
Homework tasks will not always be set in all subjects and those subjects with 2 homeworks per week may combine them into one longer homework, but students will then be given a full week for completion.
Year 7, 8 & 9
Homework tasks should take about 30-40 minutes each.
Year 10 & 11
In Years 10 and 11, homework tasks could each take up to an hour
Please see our help page here: General Information - ICT Support - SMHW
All school homework is published via the website and App:
Find the app in Google Play or Apple App Store by searching for 'Show My Homework'
You do not have to log in to see homework - anybody can find it - click on the Calendar at the top of the schools SMHW page, and filter to your lessons.
You only need to remember 2 things to log in - a username and a password. The username is an email address.
New students will need to use their school email address. (Existing students may be using personal email addresses. At any time they can be changed by the student within the App.)
Full instructions can be found on our help page in General Information - ICT Support - SMHW
Read our new user guide here: SMHW help Guide for new users (PDF)
If you have used a school computer, you have all the information you need:
- On the SMHW website, click Forgot Password, and enter your school email address eg email@example.com
- Now sign in to your school email - www.office.com and choose Outlook.
- Read the SMHW email, and click its Reset Password link. Set a SMHW password. 10+ characters including uppercase, lowercase, number and symbol eg Password@1
- OR you can sign in to SMHW using the 'Sign in with Office 365' option - this is your school email and school password.
- You cannot create the student account. They must do it themselves.
- If you have an existing parent account, log in to it and add the student using their Parent Code (students can find this via these instructions)
If you are a new parent, then select the option 'I dont have an account', and create one, using the Parent Code.
Nobody uses the Student PIN.